I was craving this filipino dish that’s a favorite of mine. In tagalog, it’s called “Talong with Bagaong”. Or in other words, Eggplants with shrimp paste. Back in the day, my family was pretty poor so we used to eat this as a main dish. It was filling and delicious. This dish is the perfect salty, tangy, flavor for your favorite veggies. Try it out for a quick fix with your favorite veggies!
Sauteed Eggplants & Okra w/ Shrimp Paste
One chinese eggplant
Couple of handfuls of okra
2-3 tbls butter
2 tbls. olive oil
4 thai chillis
1. In a pan put butter and olive oil together at medium heat.
2. Cut eggplants into 1 inch cubes and put into the heated pan. Sautee and stir, until translucent and browned
3. Remove eggplant and place into a bowl
4. Add okra. Sautee and stir. When the okra is starting to soften add the eggplant. mix together.
5. add thai chillis.
6. Turn off and set aside
7. In a small saucer, add 2 tsp. of shrimp paste. (Can be bought at any asian market or store.)
8. Add 2-3 tbls. of vinegar and mix.
9. Slice some tomatoes to top it off.
10. Tada! Delicious, buttery veggies with the salty shrimp tast of the sea!